Getting the "doghouse" media blasted

I have come to the point where I have enough money saved up to get more of the car done. When I pulled the car out of the junkyard it was covered completely in surface rust, and the hood was really bad on the hood. Because of that, I swapped hoods with a white LeSabre I had at the time. In the picture below you can see that hood. It had a quarter sized hole in it, so I got the same shop that fixed my fender to fix the hood. The black paint you see was just to protect the bare metal. You can also see a replacement driver's side door I had to put on after having an accident with the original door involving the side of the garage door. As it was, the car was 5 colors. Rusty brown Tawny Mist on the majority, Arctic White on the hood, off white on the driver door, gray on a door and top from a previous shop, and purple primer and black guide coat on the back fender. Getting the doghouse redone should take the car down to four colors. I know, big improvement, right?

As it sat before deconstruction began:

The hood is off. It was not as heavy as I expected, but getting it unbolted without two people would have been impossible.


A glorious time, I finally got the driver's side fender off. I had some unforeseen difficulties. I ended up having to cut off all the bolts that attached the outer fender to the inner fender. The bolts went into nuts in the inner fender that were just clipped on, and as soon as the bolt was turned the fastener would break, causing the bolt and nut to spin at the same time. In addition, I didn't realize I would have to remove the grille to get to a final bolt. In order the pull the grille out, I had to drop the bumper down.

The next day: passenger side fender off. This went much faster as I knew to just cut the fasteners and not mess with them otherwise.

The Buick to the right, the parts to be blaster to the left.

It took a long time for me to find a blaster. I had two good leads, but one was completely mobile and didn't have access to a shop. I would have to pay for travel time, and be responsible for clean up. The other lead did blasting but also ran a body shop, and wanted to do the bodywork as well as blast them. Since I have aligned with a shop, I needed the parts to be in bare metal. I hit a car show during the summer and found a person who did blasting about an hour away, so I loaded everything up and went to see him.

 


I am always amazed to see fresh metal under what used to be a rusty finish. My blaster had to use sand due to the rust vs. using other blasting medias.

I ended up with less swiss cheese on the fenders than I expected, but did have a few places on the hood that were unexpected.

 

Before and after. I schedule the run when there was a 0% chance of rain, and it still sprinkled for about 20 seconds on the way home.


It is off to the body shop, covered in the next restoration log.