A History of Fields Buick, Inc.
General Motors Dealer Code 04-149
5323 Baltimore Avenue
Hyattsville, MD 20781
An extension of Sherman's History Timeline
If you have any information on Fields Buick, or a picture of when the dealership was in service, please contact me via the e-mail address on the home page.
Fields Buick sold new Buicks (and later Opels) in Hyattsville for over 50 years at 5323 Baltimore Avenue. According to the Maryland Historic Trust, the storefront pictured to the right first appeared on a 1922 map. It was marked as a garage with fuel storage tanks beneath an earthen floor with pumps facing toward the current Baltimore Ave. In the late 1920's, the building underwent an expansion "to facilitate and service 40 automobiles" and was known as the White House garage. Note the building pictured to the left above had not been built at the time.
White House Garage
Source: Hyattsville Then and Now
In 1930, the H.C. Fleming Motor Company was selling Dodge's out of the building. In 1931, Fields Buick filed Articles of Incorporation with the State of Maryland, and started selling new Buick's out of the building by 1937. The exterior featured an overhead garage door with 40 individual lites, and a large metal and neon sign.
Hyattsville Bowling Center
Source: Hyattsville Patch
In 1940, Oscar K. Hiser constructed The Hyattsville Bowling Center at 5503 Baltimore Ave, directly adjacent to Fields Buick. This is the storefront featured to left. It had 24 lanes of bowling, and a large concession stand near the entrance. Within 10 years, Mr. Hiser went bankrupt, and Mr. Field moved into the space in the early 1950s. The building has some pretty unique features: A 1940 date stone is prominently displayed in the center of the upper front of the building, a large semi-circular window with smaller, circular windows flanking it is situated on the front facade, and a concrete automobile ramp leads to the second story on the north side of the property. The building at 5323 Baltimore Ave was converted to office space in the front, and service bays in the rear. The former bowling alley took over as the new car showroom.
Fields Buick Invoice and Maintenance Record from 1965
Source- Left Coast Classics
On February 29, 1988, Fields Buick, Inc. merged into Lustine Buick, a newly incorporated company which was only 18 days old. A day later, Lustine Buick, Inc. was merged into Lustine Oldsmobile, Inc., creating Lustine Oldsmobile - Buick, Inc. The Buick dealership remained at 5323 Baltimore drive, but was renamed Lustine Oldsmobile Buick. Around 2000, Buick and Oldsmobile were combined with Chevrolet at the main Lustine property, and the Lustine body shop moved into the old Buick building at 5323/5503 Baltimore Avenue.
Lustine has since "abandoned" Hyattsville, along with General Motors, and concentrated their efforts in Woodbridge, VA. See their history here. Sometime after 2000 Lustine sold off their franchises. Then the Lustine family sold off their Hyattsville real estate to EYA who is currently redeveloping the area.
As part of EYA's, redevelopment plan of the Hyattsville area to an "Arts District", the Hyattsville City Council agreed on August 1, 2005 "not to support the preservation of the Former Fields Buick Collision Center [sic] on the east side of Route 1" as written in The Hyattsville Reporter. They are however, keeping the Lustine Chevrolet showroom "in order to preserve a piece of the area's heritage, character and unique identity."
While the Lustine showroom will be preserved, the Fields Buick building was razed into rubble in August of 2006. See link to pictures below.
Fields Buick 1987 vs. 2006
Click on any bordered photo for a larger version
Click here for destruction pictures:
Here are the full aerial photographs taken
sometime between 2002 and 2006 of the former Fields Buick showroom and Lustine
Chevrolet body shop:
Click on any photo for a larger version:
1988 USGS Photo:
(many broken links, left for research purposes)
http://www.preservehyattsville.org/hhdexpand.PDF (Page 18)
http://www.landsknechts.org/lands/lands_1996_04t.html (under "directions").
http://www.mde.state.md.us/assets/document/General/mdemay00.pdf (under "For the Record", Prince George's)
Black and Whites: Maryland Historic Trust
Color: C. Stockton
Overhead: Microsoft Live Local
Destruction Pictures: G. Tindale
Second picture from top: Retouched Lustine Chevrolet